Friday, March 8, 2013

Breakfast Raspberry and Oat Buns


These are a perfect little weekend breakfast treat. I made these last weekend and they were a huge success, my family, Isaac and friend Róisín all loved them. I adapted this recipe from one I found on the BBC food website and I will definitely be making them again soon.

Makes 12 large buns

300g of flour - whatever you like. I used 50/50 wholegrain and white organic spelt flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
100g light muscovado sugar (I think I put 75g in as I didn't want them too sweet)
50g porridge oats, plus some to top the buns
2 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed up
280ml of buttermilk* or organic yogurt - I used yogurt
75ml of light oil (rapeseed or sunflower) or melted butter if you like
2 free range egg whites
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 punnet of berries (about 150g) - raspberries, blueberries or whatever you like

*if you don't have buttermilk, squeeze 1/2 lemon into 280ml of low-fat milk and let it stand for 10-15 mins. If you don't eat dairy you can do exactly the same thing with a milk substitute. Almond or hazelnut milk would be delicious in this recipe.

1) Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C and line a muffin tin with paper cases. Put the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls and mix them, but leaving the berries out.

2) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and work them together with a wooden spoon. Don't over mix the mixture, stir the ingredients just until they come together. Then add the berries and gently fold them through.

3) Divide the mixture between the paper cases (they will look very full, but I promise it's fine) and sprinkle with oats. Bake for about 20 mins or until nicely golden on top. Leave to cool and enjoy! These will last for about 3 days in an air tight container, and we found they almost tasted better on the 2nd day.


These are perfect with a cup of tea and a lovely way to start the weekend with family and friends. If you give these a go let me know how the go. I don't think I'll get a chance to make these again this weekend as it's fully booked for me (it's my birthday Sunday along with mother's day) but I might try make them again next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment