Sunday, September 8, 2013

Lemon, Yogurt & Poppy Seed Buns

Hey all, I'm really sorry for my almost month-long absence from blogging, but don't worry, I'm back and kicking things off again with some delicious lemon, yogurt and poppy seed buns! I opened my kitchen cupboard recently and saw a big tub of lovely organic blue Turkish poppy seeds that have sadly not been used in a while, and felt that lemony-yogurty buns just had to be made. With a big cup of tea and a pair of fluffy socks they're a perfect treat for a chilly, early-autumn afternoon.


I love simple bun recipes, where you premix all of the wet and dry ingredients separately before combing them. No faffing about creaming or beating things together, just bung it all in!


Starting off with the dry, I used Dove's Farm organic white spelt flour, dark brown sugar, baking powder, pinch of salt and 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds. And for the wet I used, 2 organic eggs, a good dollop of vanilla bean paste, low fat organic natural yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest (unwaxed) and sunflower oil.


The recipe makes 12 buns and they bake in 18-20 mins. The smell of the lemon and vanilla filled the house with such a gorgeous aroma that I was barely able to wait for them to cool down before brewing up a nice strong cup of tea and tucking in. Because I used sunflower oil instead of butter they had a lovely light texture with a great crumb structure. I don't like overly sweet bakes so I reduced the amount of sugar by a good bit, and thought they were perfect. I'm not one for icing either so I just have them as they are, but a pretty lemony swirl of icing would look very pretty. They should last about 3 days in an airtight container but realistically that won't happen! They're too good to resist!


No comments:

Post a Comment