Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Veggie Christmas 2013

Christmas is here!! Christmas is definitely my favourite time of year; the lights, the decorations, gift giving and of course...the FOOD!! Since Isaac and I met, our Christmas tradition every year is to spend Christmas Eve together and have our own version of Christmas, as we both spend Christmas Day with our families. I love this as we get to have all the lovely things about Christmas Day but in a much calmer way. We watch A Muppet's Christmas Carol, listen to lovely Christmas songs, exchange gifts and have a big (veggie) Christmas Dinner together. It's so special. 


So, as I have a bit of time I thought I'd share what we've been eating! We started the morning with pancakes! But not just any old pancakes, snowman pancakes!! (I really only made 2 snowmen and then made loads of regular pancakes). They're spelt pancakes with a dash of vanilla bean paste. With them I made orange, cinnamon and maple spiced Greek yogurt and a gorgeously glossy blueberry, apple and ginger compote. I also had lemon wedges and maple syrup on standby if we fancied. We were stuffed after!! 


We didn't have lunch, but I made some cinnamon popcorn to nibble on while watching A Muppet's Christmas Carol (our favourite Christmas film), however totally forgot to take a picture. Afterwards came the main event...Christmas Eve Dinner! This year I wanted to keep it simple, one main dish and 2 sides. I know it doesn't look like much but we have over half left over and couldn't finish the veg. I made gorgeous maple glazed carrots with toasted pecans and crispy roasted sweet potatoes with red onions, garlic and rosemary. And as the centrepiece, Torta di Risotto (risotto tart), stuffed with griddled courgette, aubergine and pepper. Absolutely delicious accompanied by a glass of Champagne and plenty to be enjoyed again tomorrow! 


To finish we couldn't not have mince pies! My homemade ones are again made with spelt flour and vegan-friendly. The perfect end to a wonderful Christmas Eve and a great start to Christmas day.


Merry Christmas! I hope this Christmas is the loveliest yet and is filled with love, laughter and scrumptious food.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet tradition and as always your food looks absolutely delicious! Merry Christmas to you, Isaac and the family! I'm already looking forward to the feasts you'll share with us in 2014 :) x

    ReplyDelete